03 February 2007

Modifying dance shoes--a stupid idea

Given my frequent dancing of late, I decided to invest in more supportive dance shoes than the ones I currently own. I went to the nomadic shoe store, and found the almost-perfect pair--except that it had taps. Since they fit so comfortably, and comfortable shoes are hard to come by, I decided not to be stalled by some taps and bought them, figuring I could remove the taps at home.

I thought it would be as simple as unscrewing the screws, but unbeknownst to me, in addition to being screwed tightly on, the taps were crazy-glued to some plastic thing, which was sewed onto and glued to the leather surface I was ultimately trying to get at. Thus, I spent an undisclosed ridiculous amount of time yesterday and this morning unscrewing (which was the easiest part), unraveling string, prying plastic off of leather, and finally, attempting to chisel away at some rubbery non-stick thing with an exacto knife.

Perhaps the exacto knife blade becoming undone should've been an indication that this was probably more hassle than it was worth, but I continued to chisel away. . . until I accidentally gouged myself in the knee. Luckily, it wasn't a deep cut, but ouch.

I decided at this point that I should perhaps stop. Actually, to be honest, I can't remember if I stopped because of that, or because I wanted to go running (yes, with a gouged knee. . .).

The moral of the story? If you need regular ballroom dance shoes, don't get tap shoes and think you'll simply modify it, b/c it's not that simple.

No comments: