17 June 2007

Dinner with Mr. Might-be-engaged

I had my dinner last night with Mr. might-be-engaged. We had a lovely dinner at Pizzaiolo. If I had any better foodie credentials, I would have taken pictures to document the gluttony that transpired that evening, but alas, in my frantic frenzy to find out whether my friend is engaged, I forgot to take the requisite pictures.

Thus in lieu of photos, I will give you a description of what we ordered:

For appetizers, we got
-roasted figs w/ a ricotta-like cheese that had a young balsamic glaze that was slightly caramelized and baked over it (superb. I really liked this appetizer, which can also double as a dessert.)
-A faro salad with arugula and cherry tomatoes and shaved pecorino cheese. (also really yummy. I mean, with pecorino-tomatoes-baby arugula combination, can you possibly go wrong? Not overdoused with dressing as many salads tend to be.)

For the main dish, I got a summer squash pizza with basil oil, while my friend got a halibut. The pizza was quite good. Although it is not NY pizza, the thin crust had just enough crisp/chewy factor, as well as the right amount of cheese. I also liked the delicate flavor that the basil oil imparted. The halibut was also quite tasty, though I was more partial to my squash pizza.

For dessert, we split what I thought was going to be something in which strawberries were going to be the central theme, but in fact, turned out to be amaretto-flavored ice cream w/ a big crumbly cookie and a few strawberries mixed in. I wasn't crazy about the amaretto-flavored ice cream (it should've been vanilla w/ black specks!), but the berries and the crumbly cookie were very good.

Overall, I really liked the food at this place.

But to return to Mr. might-be-engaged, he turned out not to be engaged. He is also not as east-coast reserved as I had originally thought. Let's just leave it at that. . ..

No comments: