08 November 2008

Places I will not be living next year

On the top of that list is Boston. (actually, Cambridge, to be exact.)

Even though I'm applying to 3 schools in that area, which is more than any other city.

A pity, since of the places that offer despotic regime study, it's one of the places I wouldn't mind living for a few years. I'd need to figure out what to do come February, because February in Cambridge is miserable, but so is February in many other places I might end up living. Aside from February and cold enough weather to warrant real winter clothes, I could see myself living there. Sage broccoli might be there (though she has her heart set elsewhere), which would be a definite plus. Oh, and they are not homophobic over there. Plus it sounds far far more exciting than living in Wisconsin or Minnesota, though I realize beggars can't be choosers, and to be fair, I have never been to Minnesota.

But two of the schools I might apply to in the Boston/Cambridge area are the top two schools in despotic regime study where my chances of getting in are very slim (perhaps nonexistent), and the third school--well, is not one of my top choices for despotic regime study.

If I have no chance of getting in, I don't know why I need to invest time and money on applying, but one of my advisors, when he saw me cross these schools off my list, said, "Well, you probably won't get in, but you should still apply, because your file is competitive enough that it will get read. It's just that given how long you've been out of school, and given how competitive it is, your chances aren't too good.You should apply with the expectation of not getting in." (Note to others considering grad school: don't wait till you're 40.)

I guess appreciate his honesty, though maybe it's better to know for sure that I shouldn't bother applying to x school and just spare myself the time/trouble/anguish. The process would be far more efficient that way, and it would reduce the amount of false hope I might harbor.

On the other hand, I guess you just never know. Pigs might start to fly. (If I sound a little negative, it's b/c I've been a bit frustrated/brain dead/tired, etc. by this whole process.) Oh yeah, and the first time I applied to grad schools, I got into all of my reach schools (except Harvard, which evidently found me so worthless they sent me two rejection letters) , and got rejected from all of my "safety" schools. So I should probably heed that lesson and "just apply", so long as I do it and not expect to get in. But bah. Where's the fun in that?

3 comments:

Sator Arepo said...

Plus "just apply" means $50-$100 per application, not just postage!

Danny said...

You want me to go have a "chat" with people in the Despotic Regime departments on your behalf?

(Besides, you owe it to your lesbian work persona to give Cambridge a shot.)

anzu said...

Between the classes I'm taking, the extra gas it is costing me (plus lost wages) and application fees, applying to schools ain't cheap, but then I remembered I did this once as a student. Still, apps alone will probably cost me close to $2K.

(@Danny--) Thanks. I appreciate your blind faith in me, but despotic regime departments, being fascist, tend to only listen to people of their kind. Given the downturn, I'm up for tough competition even at the leser-ranked schools.