20 August 2006

Mozart was six when he composed this!

This was one of my favorite quotes during my recent travels to Central Europe. During a dinner conversation, one of the spouses who came along mentioned that when he was in college, he had a roommate who either played piano for fun or was a music major. One day, he overheard his roommate slam his music down after hours of practicing on the piano, and say, "Damnit. Mozart composed this when he was six, and I can't even play it right."

Well, join the club.

I shudder to think of all of the music that people composed when they were of a single digit age, that I cannot "get right" after hours and hours of practice.

I guess this is why some of us compose; others of us just play what others have composed; and then there are some of us who can't even proficiently play what others have composed (that would be me). . ..

I would just love to have a conversation with people who can compose such intricate things at the ripe young age of six. (Though actually, of the two, my preference is to meet Bach.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Both of who are now decomposing at this point.