21 January 2007

Passage to India--not all that it's cracked up to be

I had high hopes for this restaurant. Lots of people told me that the buffet was very good. "The best in the area", some would even say. Thus, I've been meaning to check it out for the longest time, given that it is so close to where I live.

Well, today I went with a friend to check it out. It was pretty decent, but not out of this world. Not even excellent, but passable. Some of the dishes were very good. The selection was also quite extensive. However, as a whole, it didn't wow me over.

Maybe it is the buffet format that lends itself to so-so food. Or maybe I was looking for more quotidian Indian food. Or maybe it was that I couldn't eat half of the options, b/c they were meat dishes. Or perhaps I didn't feel sated, b/c I was hoping to get khir. Maybe I over-stuffed myself silly.

I'm not sure why, but the food didn't excite me. Then again, buffet food usually is quantity over quality, and thus, may not be intended to excite.

In fact, lately, whenever I go to a buffet, I find myself being more excited by the idea than by the actual execution of buffet-dining plan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There used to be a REALLY GOOD Vegetarian Indian Restaurant down Central Expressway in Mountain View before you got to Central if you were coming from Palo Alto (hoping that "got to" was grammatically correct and realizing that I cannot match "quotidian" for 50-cent words). We used to go there and be the only non-Indians in the place. I think it did change ownership, though. It was not a buffet, but definitely good. I agree that Passage to India was not anything to write home about.