21 October 2008

Evocative and hauntingly beautiful!

The question of the day is if you take some entity and call it evocative, alluring and all sorts of flattering adjectives, and then tell tens of millions of people this, keep broadcasting this until people believe it, does the entity eventually become those things it is described as, even if it didn't start out necessarily possessing these qualities? And what if enough people do believe that random entity="evocative", "alluring", etc.?

A non-sequitur quick lazy post--this arrived in my inbox today:
"His music was little known in the U.S. before KDFC began playing it two years ago. Since then, the hauntingly beautiful and evocative works of composer/pianist Ludovico Einaudi have kept him among our best-selling and most requested artists.

Based on that success, Einaudi is embarking on his first U.S tour and will debut here on Thursday, November 20 at a KDFC Nightclub Concert at Bimbo’s 365 Club.

As usual, Club KDFC is the first to get the news. Act now!"

I have other adjectives to describe his music. I'll stick with my edgy Bartok, thanks.


9 comments:

Sator Arepo said...

Heh, yeah.

I took a Bartok class with Elliot Antokoletz (who wrote "the" book on Bartok) a couple of years ago. I love his music as well. Do you have a favorite piece/pieces?

I'll vote for the 4th quartet and Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste.

anzu said...

Ooh. I should read him. Another book to add to my never-ending reading list.

Favorites--his string quartets (surprise, surprise). You know, I've always liked 3 and 5 better than 4, even though 4 is the one everyone raves about. Then I heard 4 live and done really really well, and wow. It might be my new favorite among the quartets.

I like his string instrument stuff, so I also like his violin concertos and the unfinished viola concerto.

Sator Arepo said...

Yeah, all the quartets are good. I also forgot to mention the Divertimento for Strings, which is awesome,
SA

anzu said...

(Up late, aren't we?) Funny you mentioned the Divertimento. I was just about to list that, when I looked at my list and saw that it was really heavy on his string instrument works, and you asked for "favorite" and I've already listed 9 pieces I like, so I decided to keep that one out, but I do like it.

Rebecca said...

Can I vote for "repetitive"?

(Or: "Is someone hitting me on the head with the same piece of wood over and over?")

Sator Arepo said...

"Up late" is not a thing. It is an always, in Pooh speak. Trouble sleeping. But no worries, anzu, still here,
SA

anzu said...

I guess ever since I've had 3-4 hour sleep days, I've been obsessed w/ other people's sleep schedules. Mostly, I wonder how people do it.

Repetitive wasn't the word I had in mind, but that's a perfectly valid description!

Sofiya said...

Anything that calls itself "evocative and hauntingly beautiful" makes me reach for my shotgun.

anzu said...

Lol. I am suspicious of anything that has to market itself as "hauntingly beautiful", "prestigious", etc. in order to sell itself. . ..