26 May 2009

Trying to downsize, but blogging instead

What does one do with a beloved instrument that one no longer plays--an instrument that one has had since 14 and has been sitting and collecting dust for the past few years?

I guess the sensible thing to do, if one is contemplating downsizing is to get rid of it. But I feel like part of my soul would be going with it.

And so I'm doing the un-sensible and babbling about it in this anonymous introspective medium to see if I can sort out my thoughts. In other words, procrastinating from doing what I'm supposed to be doing--which is to figure out a grand plan to downsize.

I went through a box of old music hoping to get rid of some of it, but failed. The Wolfhart, the Suzuki volumes, the Carl Flesch scale book, the Barenreiter scores of Bach concertos, the used book of easy Telemann duets that I got in a small market in Debrecen, the Palestrina and Bach scores I got with the intention of playing w/ S, the piano book for the third beginning piano class I took one summer at Stanford, b/c in order to stay on as a research/course assistant, I had to take five units worth of classes. . .

This is the problem with "packing" up boxes from one's past--you end up spending more time unpacking and unraveling and very little actual packing ends up getting done. (Especially if you decide to blog about it in the midst of doing this.)

And how did a few sheets of music here and there add up to several boxes, I wonder.

Speaking of boxes, I should get back to the task at hand. (Yes, I have ADD.)

2 comments:

KeyReed said...

I know how you feel. Should I ditch some of my organ music? One day I may need it - although I have done no practice for 4 years.

anzu said...

Yeah, I keep it w/ the hope that I might return to it someday, but who am I kidding!?