23 May 2006

Contemplating Eve's Apple

Whilst eating my favorite snack in the world, I wondered what kind of apple Eve bit into.

I am convinced it must've been a Pink Lady. It is the quintessential apple, with beautiful (almost fluorescent) hues that just tempt you to bite into it. It has the perfect combination of sweet and tart. It is always the perfect texture; I have never had a mealy one. It tastes exactly the way one would imagine a perfect apple to taste. It is the epitome of apple-ness. (If one can epitomize such a thing.)

I also wondered whether Eve ate the apple by itself, or whether she had the option of eating it with almond butter.

While the Pink Lady apple sans condiments is an already fine stand-alone product, Pink Lady with crunchy almond butter is a divine combination. I can't think of a more perfect combination. Except maybe aged gouda and very good bread. . ..

I can't imagine ever getting sick of this combo. I bring it to work, to Opera in the Park, to parties, and even as a treat on long airplane flights. It is my default lunch when I can't think of anything else (as was the case today).

The apple has to be a Pink Lady--Fujis are too sweet, as are Jonagolds, and any other apple. The Granny Smith might work, b/c of its tartness.

And it has to be Full Belly Farm brand crunchy almond butter, which you can only get at the local farmer's market. (Did I mention it has to be the crunchy stuff? Oddly, when it comes to peanut butter, I've always liked the creamy stuff, but trust me on this--for this almond butter, get the crunchy stuff.)

Well, ok, it doesn't have to be--I'm sure there are other equally worthy almond or alternative nut butters out there that will do the job, and other perfectly fine apples. A Fuji apple w/ Trader Joe's almond butter is also pretty good, but the Pink Lady/Full Belly Farm crunchy almond butter combo is just out of this world.

Thankfully, the local farmer's market is back in business, since I'm almost out of my almond butter.
(Though unfortunately, the apple season is coming to an end. )


2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Have you tried it with cashew butter? Although it is hard to top the almond. :)

anzu said...

Cashew butter. Yum! I haven't, but I like cashews. . .. I currently have 3 different nut and seed butters in my fridge.