13 May 2006

Unfazed

I have been toying around with the idea of a blog so I thought I'd give it a try. I suppose I should explain my title, which sounds mediterranean (well, to me it does anyway), but actually, it is just the character for my name. In Chinese, it means "almond", but in Japanese, it means "apricot".

(Btw, a small aside to grammar nitpicking types (which I confess I am. . .sometimes): I know that according to American grammar conventions, the comma and period should be inside of the quotation marks, and I have enough people correcting me whenever I do this at work. To me this (punctuation inside quotes) makes no sense whatsoever, but fine. Someone made these rules hundreds of years ago, and so we have to stick by them. But since this is my own blog, I am asserting my will and keeping these pesky punctuation marks where I think they belong--which is outside of the quotes. Quite frankly, I don't see why semicolons and question marks belong outside of quote marks, while periods and commas do, when they serve the exact same function. And heck, if the Brits are allowed to do this, why can't we? Someone give me a compelling reason why this makes sense and I will contain my punctuation. But until then, I shall let them run wild.)

Our choir was featured in our local newspaper. A very nice article which called us "unfazed". Since I would hardly describe myself as "unfazed", I was quite tickled by this description of us. I decided to entitle my first entry "unfazed" partly as a tribute and partly because I kinda like this image of being unfazed.

Well laundry beckons, so I shall sign off my inagural post. (I feel like I should've posted something more profound-sounding.)

No comments: