16 May 2006

Senegalese Lepidopterists and Chinese Soccer Players

There is a Senegalese lepidopterist who has his temporary office next to mine. He slams doors, which I find a tad annoying. If this were an ordinary workplace, I would simply ask him to please close his door a bit more quietly. But I work at a bit of an odd place, where there are high-level people. In fact, they are so high level (and they always seem to stick the highest level=highest maintenance people next to me, since the adjacent office used to be occupied by another very high level person who now occupies an even higher level post in our government.) that these people never usually bother to introduce themselves to me, and they always seem to slam doors and keep them closed. Actually, the latter is perhaps because I blast my classical or choir practice music so that I can tune out the slams, cell phone conversations, etc. I once did mention the door-slamming to someone, and I was told that so-and-so-high-level-person is notoriously difficult, so just deal.

Why do they put such high level people near such pions? Actually, I think I meant peon.

But back to this lepidopterist. He isn't actually a lepidopterist, nor is he Senegalese, but because of the politics and culture of my odd workplace, my co-worker and I have devised a system of coming up with alias identities for high-level officials whose identities we are not supposed to talk about. So when the head of state of some unnamed country in Africa came to visit and we were supposed to feign ignorance about knowing of his presence, the code alias we used for him was the Chinese soccer player.

Now another former high-ranking person is here. So he is a Senegalese lepidopterist. My co-worker picked out this pseudo identity for him.

At this rate, if we have more top secret high level officials visiting, my ears will go deaf, but my vocabulary and geography skills might improve.

No comments: