28 December 2007

Media bubble

Wow. I really must make it a point to read the news. I just happened to look at the NYT yesterday, after a several-day hiatus, and in the course of a few hours (while I was watching a movie), the former PM of Pakistan was assassinated. I'm sure if I had a TV, this would be blaring all over the news, but since I don't have a TV, and since I don't subscribe to actual hard copy papers, it's really easy to live in a sort of bubble and not be aware of the goings-on in the world for this week that I am off. Can you imagine if I hadn't checked the news? How could I be aware of the latest movie releases but not of Bhutto's death?

I am still in shock over her sudden death and the fact that I might've missed that minor tidbit, had I not checked the NYT.

No comments: