26 January 2008

Ebulient fascists

I had this brilliant plan. It is now foiled, thanks to ebullient fascists. (See the first paragraph of my previous post if you don't get the reference.)

For the past few elections, I have voted for Democrats, even though I didn't so much actively choose them as much as choosing not to vote for Bush.

Instead of choosing to register as a Democrat, though, I am registered as unaffiliated, so that I can pick which primary to vote in. I was all ready to vote in the Republican primary and either vote for McCain or vote for whoever has the least chance of winning in the California primary. However, much to my annoyance, I learned that whereas the Democratic primaries are open, meaning anyone who is undeclared like I am is welcome to vote in their primaries, the Republican primaries are closed. Only those registered as Republican can vote in their primaries. How undemocratic and counterproductive--and fascist and ebullient.

I admit I'm biased and the well-being of the Republican party is not at the top of my list of concerns, but don't the Republicans realize that by closing off the primaries like that, they are putting their candidates at a disadvantage? In particular, it hurts McCain, who is likely to attract votes of Independents.

Conversely, this setup helps Obama, who among the Democratic candidates is most likely to garner the support of Independents.

I hope all of them flock to the Democratic primaries and vote for Obama. I don't want him out of the race yet, and a California victory would be huge.

No comments: