21 January 2008

Hoity toity tastes in music but can't write basic English?

Dear Regular Poster in Pretentious Classical Music Elitists,

First, let me issue a disclaimer and say that perhaps I shouldn't be one to cast stones. . . but if you have very sophisticated tastes in music, far beyond my plebeian levels of appreciation, and make very good recommendations about recordings, etc., it would be far more impressive if you could convey this using proper grammar.

It is quite disappointing to listen to (er, read) you carry on intelligently about such-and-such a piece or about 12-tone-serialism, and notice that you just explained a difficult concept using run-on sentences and the wrong form of "its" and you're not British. (The Brits also have the same usage rules for its and it's as we do, but I believe run-on sentences are legit in their culture? If not, the Harry Potter books need some serious editing.)

I am usually opposed to cutting out music/art education to beef up on basic skills education, but when you extol the virtues of Louis Andriessen and Brian Ferneyhough
, but cannot properly distinguish between than and then, or are averse to using a period between two independent clauses, I start to second guess my opinions about the tantamount importance of music education. Maybe we do need to confiscate that oboe until you can spell basic words. . ..

Cut you some slack, b/c you are a musician, engineer who plays music on the side, etc. and writing is not your forté? Well, I would, except that my musician friends (amateur, professional, etc.) can all write quite well--in fact, many of them better than people who write for a living. So I now have this unfortunate expectation and equate high music literacy with high literacy.

Besides, if you are going to talk about pretentious elitist subjects, you need to be pretentious and elitist about your writing, too, or else people (yours truly included) may not take you as seriously.

1 comment:

Sofiya said...

I find that music snobs are the most irritating people alive, and I say this as someone who makes most of her money from music snobs (ever the ungrateful wretch). Music snobs who can't spell are the worst of all.

By the way, I have never been able to see what is so great about Ferneyhough. I just can't seem to get the hang of the complexity school, you know? I expect I'm too dumb, although unlike his acolytes, I know the difference between its and it's.