11 May 2008

Absurd mother's day conversation with my mom

I called my mom yesterday to wish her a happy mother’s day. Of course, instead of talking about motherhood and lovely brunches and flowers as other normal mother-daughters might, we talked about none of these things. Well, ok, I did ask her what she did, so that took up 5 minutes of our conversation.

Instead, a big chunk of our conversation was spent discussing less, um, quotidian things.

me: (hearing some weird meowing noise) What was that? You guys have a cat now?

mom: Oh, no. That’s our dear dog.

me: But that was a loud meow, not a bark. (Actually, it sounded like a cat in heat, but I didn’t know how to say “in heat” in Swahili.) Our dog meows now?

mom: Yeah, evidently, they start making weird noises when they get old. Soon they’ll start making weird noises in the wee hours of the night, b/c they sleep during the day and stay up at night and get bored.

me: That’s worse than a rooster. It’ll keep you up all night. He’s going to carry on like this till he. . .

mom: Oh, he’s alive and well. No signs of going anytime soon. Although your brother was like, “Oh, you’re bringing him to the new apartment when you move?” I mean, what kind of question is that? It’s not like we can just leave him behind. Poor thing. . .. Though now all he does is pee, poo, and sleep and doesn’t really contribute much to society. . ..

me: As opposed to before when he was churning out symphonies like Beethoven.

mom: Well before, he added spice to our life by occasionally running away and giving us a scare.

me: This was better?

mom: So your dad wants to have a funeral for the dog when he dies, but it’s absurdly expensive.

me: Wth. (Ok, I didn’t really say that. My parents don’t speak that lingo.) a full-on funeral for pets? With pallbearers?

mom: Well dead pets are considered biodegradable waste here, so theoretically, that’s how you’d dispose of its body.

me: Ewww. Someone would have to stuff him in a bag, then. Why don’t you just cremate him?

mom: Well, what I think your dad really wants to do is get him stuffed. But yeah, I meant cremation when I said “funeral”. They’re evidently quite expensive.

me: Ok, cremation is not a funeral. Why don’t you just bury him—you know, under one of these trees that he’s peed on in this apartment complex.

mom: I’m sure the owners of the complex would love that. No, I think we’d have to bury him at the local park where he used to run around. Sometime at night, perhaps. But that’s not feasible.

me: Why not? It’s not illegal to bury one’s beloved dog, no?

mom: Well, I don’t know that it’s something that anyone has ever done, so there may be no law specifically about furtively going to a park in the dark of the night and burying one’s pet, in which case, it’s not illegal, no. But I don’t want to have to do anything with it, so dad would have to carry him and bring a shovel to the park by himself. It might look suspicious.

me: Well, can’t he just take a cab to the park?

mom: Now, do you really think a cab is going to let someone carry their dead pet aboard?

me: Who said anything about telling the cabbie that he’s dead? He can just carry him like he’s sleeping on his lap. He won’t move. There’s nothing odd about carrying a sleeping pet on your lap and bringing a shovel on a cab.

mom: Well, he’d still have to dig a pretty big hole by himself.

dad (passing by or maybe heard just this portion of the conversation—to my mom:) What are you guys talking about?

mom: Oh we’re trying to figure out how you’re going to bring our dear dog to the park when he dies, to bury him.

dad: You guys are sick sick sick (walks away and lets us continue).

mom: Well, as I was saying, so technically, you are supposed to dispose of pets in biodegradable trash.

me: Eww. You mean you have to stuff him in a trash bag?

mom: Yep, though it has to be a clear trash bag for biodegradable trash.

me: Ugh. That’s even worse. So he’s going to be in a see-thru bag in a heap of trash? That’s how he’s supposed to end his life? That’s so inanimate.

mom: (evidently talking to the dog) Yes, dearie, we’re talking about your funeral arrangements.

me: Omg. Does he understand what we were talking about?

mom: Nah. He doesn’t even understand “dinner” or “food” anymore, so he’s certainly not going to understand a complicated discussion on the logistics of his burial/disposal.

me: Well, does he look sad or annoyed?

mom: Not a bit. Actually, as much as I’d love to keep talking about the garbage laws of this land, you should get to bed. It’s getting late.

me: Yeah, probably. Well, on that morbid note, happy mother’s day.

mom: Thanks. Now get some sleep.

But since I can't sleep after the lovely conversation we just had, I am up at an absurd time blogging about this instead, whilst imagining clear garbage bags stuffed with our poor beloved dog.

He's quite the beautiful dog.

Doesn't he look very pensive and intelligent here?


No comments: