31 May 2008

My age

Evidently, I look like I'm 22, because I got asked three times at the dance thing last night whether I was "almost graduating". True, the dance thing was held on campus, so there is a high concentration of students. I'd say half or more of the attendees were students, but still. It's one thing to be asked this if you're like 24, but at my nearing-middle-age age, I'm not sure what to think. It would've been more plausible if they asked me if I were a grad student, but to be asked if I'm graduating? Hmm. Should I be flattered? Annoyed? Bemused? Incredulous? I used to get indignant when people asked me what year I was, (as recently as four years ago, some freshman asked me which frosh dorm I was assigned to. Humph.) but the fact that the question doesn't bug me so much anymore must mean I'm getting old. I couldn't possibly look the same age as half of these people that were there last night. I've got lines, people. And saggy inelastic skin. . .

But I hear like a 24-year old according to this website. The highest one I can sort of hear is the 17.4 kHz one. Actually, that one I can't "hear" so much as feel. When I click on it, my ears feel like they are about to pop. But I can definitely hear the 17 kHz one. Ouch.

However, my sense of balance is lousy lousy lousy. I'm about 69-years old by this metric.

And I also can't do as many push-ups as I ought to be able to. Suppose I am 40. (That's what I tell my coworkers, so it's not entirely implausible.) I should be able to do 16 push-ups. Sometimes I can do 30, and if someone put a gun to my head and told me to do 16, then yeah, I guess I can do 16, but right now, I had to pause after 11. And yes, I do the full-on "male" version, rather than girl push-ups with knees on the floor. So according to this metric, I'm about 50.

I'm sure there are other ways to measure one's age, but if I take these results and average them out, that makes me about 41.

In case anyone's curious.


2 comments:

Sofiya said...

Heh. If anyone thought I was 22, I'd be overjoyed!

anzu said...

Well, you are probably young enough that you could probably reasonably pass for that, but in my case, it's utterly ridiculous for anyone to mistake me for 22. I'm not even sure I can pass for late 20s anymore. . ..