31 May 2008

Losing it

Ok, I'm not proud of this, but yesterday, I told someone to fuck off. I think aside from my brothers, I've only told 2 or 3 other people to fuck off (it kindof looses its dramatic effect when you do it all the time--besides which at this age, I feel like I should be better at expressing myself than resorting to expletives), but I must admit I have a short fuse at times.

Setting: I just parked my car after a 25 minute commute that should've taken at most 10-15. I rolled out of bed late, so as it were, I was scrambling to get to work. As I park my car, I see the bus coming--I run and barely make it on. One of my coworkers also boards the bus at the same stop.

I sit down--in the same manner that I've sat 100 times aboard a bus.

Woman next to me (hereafter referred to as crazylady): Jeez. Lady! Watch it! You almost killed me with your backpack there.

Anzu: Oh my gosh. I'm terribly sorry. I'm so sorry.
Crazylady: You almost knocked me over with that heavy backpack. You need to be more careful.
Anzu: I'm really sorry.

Crazy lady stops talking for 5 seconds, so Anzu thinks the matter is resolved. Um no.

Crazylady: you're such a brute. You better watch yourself there.
Anzu: (heretofore, I was sincere, but damnit, now I'm starting to get a bit irritated) I said I was sorry.
Crazylady: Well, it's too LATE. You almost killed me.
(Anzu ignores her. Crazylady keeps at it.)
Crazylady: You're a wild one, you know? A wild woman. You could've killed me.

At this point, I'm extremely irritated. Maybe if it didn't take me 30 minutes to drive 5 miles and I wasn't already running late, I would've been fine, but you know when someone gets teased in grade school every day, and quietly takes it and one day loses it and blows up? That was me.

Anzu: (gets up out of her seat, and moves to the front standing area away from this weirdo.) Fuck off. I already apologized. I don't know what more you would like me to do. (I'm sure it wasn't to tell her to fuck off.)
Crazylady: Don't talk to me like that! You're very disrespectful!
(carries on for 2 more minutes). . .You're not very ladylike. You shouldn't talk to me like that.
Anzu: Lady, it's 2008, not 1957. Get with the times.
Crazylady: Well, you could still talk like a lady. You're very offensive.
Anzu: Well, I'm a lesbian, too. Does that offend you?
Crazylady: Yes, it does.

At which point, other people on the bus started telling her to shut up b/c she was being offensive. Now she started going at it with them. Then my bus stop came-- or rather, I got off at the first possible stop.

The coworker who was on the bus with me--I went to her and profusely apologized for my behavior--did tell me later that a)my backpack was nowhere near her vicinity, and b)after I got off the bus, several people on the bus gave her flak.

I told this story to one of my coworkers as we were setting up for a conference.

Ch: You know, you really should be careful about who you tell to fuck off.

Yes, no freaking shit. I know that. It didn't stop me from blurting it out, and if I were wittier, I would've come up with something better to say, I know, but I am fully aware that it's probably not the wisest thing in the world to tell someone to f off.

Yes, I'm a horrible person and need to work on this.

2 comments:

Sofiya said...

I think you're perfectly justified in telling the crazy lady to fuck off. I would have, too. I think sometimes with people like that you just need to say "You know what? I apologized to you, and I don't see what more I can do to make amends. This conversation is over," and ignore them. Although, of course, it isn't so easy to ignore people who are in your face like that. God, if it had been me, I'd have been strongly tempted to commit violence!

anzu said...

That's what I said about your airline episode(s)! Seriously, if I had to put up with all that you do every time you take your instrument with you. . .I'd probably be locked up in jail by now. . ..