23 August 2008

Swoon-worthy things

Ok, there are two things that make me theoretically* swoon. (*theoretically, because I don't actually swoon. I'm more of a gusher, but swooning sounds so much more. . .Elizabethan and grown up and proper. As an aside, swoon should always be italicized, because it just looks more unstable and swoon-like that way.)

One is my Congan drum instructor, who is unfortunately gay, but has a beautiful tenor voice, plays piano beautifully, is very knowledgeable about music, speaks multiple languages, is well-read, writes beautifully, is funny and witty as hell, is both interested and interesting, and is also the nicest, humblest, most unassuming person I've ever met. (I'm sure there is a less-awkward way to write that, but I'm swooning, so please cut me some slack.)


The other is the Takacs Quartet playing Intimate Letters. The first is not a productive swooning endeavor, but thanks to my dear friend Sofiya who has direct access to this quartet's members (she's very powerful like that), my swooning sentiments won't be completely for naught. Although these quartet members have no idea who I am, she is going to tell them that I thought their Janacek was swoon-worthy, because she thinks they will appreciate that.

Isn't it cool that a quartet of that stature that gets so much acclaim and attention from the bigwigs can still appreciate comments about their swoon-worthiness from a random un-bigwig audience member?

No comments: