07 August 2008

Voice checks

Ok, I'm fretting, among other things, over a voice check/evaluation that we are supposed to have in a week or two. I think the last time I've done one of these was shortly after I joined. It has probably been around 4 years since my last one--enough time for him to forget that I'm a dismal sight reader--if he knows this at all.

Sometimes, if a piece is in the right key (=keys with sharps in the key signature), then I can sort of fake it, b/c if the piece is straightforward enough, I can mentally finger the notes and imagine the pitch, etc., which is what I did when I auditioned. He gave me a piece in the key of d (major), and all of the notes fell on the a or d string, and the rhythm was straightforward, the intervals were straightforward (fifths, fourths, thirds), so I kindof fudged my way through it, and I saw him write down on my notes "excellent" under sight reading. Ha! If only he knew. . ..

This isn't false modesty or anything, but I seriously cannot sight read to save my life. I blame it on my former Suzuki training, which I wouldn't necessarily change; it's just that I resisted learning to read music for the longest time, since I was far more efficient at picking things up by ear, and now wish that I started the whole sight-reading thing earlier. Or heck, wished that I had learned to play the piano instead, since pianists are fabulous sight readers.

Anyway, if my director decides to pick a piece with 5 flats, I'm screwed. If he picks a minor key w/ 5 flats, I'm doubly screwed, though truth be told, I'm less fretting about the probability of him picking a piece with 4 or more flats as our sight-reading piece, than I am about him hearing me and finding out that I'm a fluke. (Sigh.)

I mean, my singing is ok. Not solo-singing material, and sure, I can sing (I think/hope) in tune, for the most part. In fact, the one thing I am good at (I think) is intonation. I suppose I did get into this choir once, but unlike many of the people in my choir, I don't have formal training in music and I haven't taken private voice lessons (except a handful of lessons here and there a few years back) to know whether I'm breathing, singing, properly, etc.

So while I guess it's a good thing that he's making sure our singing doesn't go to hell (and I haven't been in the choir long enough to know whether this is used as a potential weeder or just a formality), I'm still nervous, since he's also extremely nitpicky and demanding, which are normally traits I admire--just not when listening to me singing solo.

* * * * * * *

Well, I guess I don't have to worry about "flunking" my voice check, since I emailed my director and told him that I was afraid he might find out that I'm a fluke, and he just wrote back ":) no way jose." Awww. Isn't that terribly sweet? (Not that this lessens my anxiety.)





6 comments:

Sofiya said...

Ahem. When Suzuki is done properly, students learn to read music at the same age and level as kids taught traditionally.

*Suzuki teacher hat off* Actually, as a Suzuki-trained kid, I resisted learning to read music for quite a long time. But when I was still teaching myself, I kicked my students' butts so they wouldn't turn out crappy sight-readers like me.

anzu said...

Well, I think in my case, the problem was a combo of crappy public school music program (which btw, is better than zero music program), which let us get away with not really reading music till 7th grade, and my resistance/laziness wrt. learning to read music. But thankfully, my teacher saw that and put me in her orchestra, which helped. Also, at one point, when she made me do it a lot, I started getting better at it, but then I quit.

But I'm glad you are setting your students straight, b/c if there is one thing I could redo, it's improving my sight-reading skills. Also, theory, since I have zero theory.

Patty said...

I have an oboe student who was struggling terribly. I finally realized he wasn't really reading the music! Yes, indeed, he had started with the Suzuki method. We are having to back track a bit, so he can learn music reading.

I'm glad to hear, via sofiya, that students are supposed to learn to read music eventually. I think it's just extremely difficult for some, and they kind of learn to wing it!

anzu said...

Yup. I was definitely one of those wingers! Still am (sort of), I guess. I've started trying to read through random music that I've either forgotten or haven't seen before, just so I can re-exercise that part of the brain muscle and keep it active, but the problem is that when you do it w/o the presence of a teacher to catch your mistakes, you have no idea if you're reading correctly or not.

Incidentally, I shouldn't tell either of you this, but most of my friends who are amazing sight readers are the ones who tell me they never practiced and picked up sight-reading as a "survival skill". Hmm. Perhaps this is what my problem was. I took my teacher too seriously when she said must.practice.every.day.

Patty said...

Heh ... you could be right about that practice thing!

When I was in high school studying with my oboe teacher I rarely practiced. I knew the "tricks" to make it look as if I had practiced, and the teacher didn't usually catch on. One week I had REALLY taken some time to practice and he made a point of going out to my father to say, "Patty always sounds great, but this lesson was particularly great!" I felt as if I really got away with something!

Of course now I really know how to check and see if my kiddos have practiced. I have my little tricks now, just like I had when I was studying. :-)

anzu said...

Btw, this doesn't pertain to this post or your comment, but since I can't leave comments on your site (maybe I should just suck it up and register? :)), thanks for listing me as your BQOD.

Hmm. Based on your subsequent entry, you don't think it's outrageous (phew), but you might not agree w/ it (since you said most of the times you don't agree w/ the quote). :) I can live with that.