09 August 2008

Utterly helpless "helpful" tip of the day

From an unnamed test prep booklet, this little gem, at the end of the math review section that I just (begrudgingly) finished doing, b/c my math skills have atrophied to the point that my math scores would be an embarrassment, were I to take this test right now:

"If you are scoring above 700 on the GRE Math, you may get some hard questions involving concepts that we haven't reviewed in this chapter including:
-blah
-blah
etc."
(essentially a list of most of my problem areas, that I need review on, like standard dev.)

I thought these test prep things catered to people who want to get top scores.

Um, I can already get well above a 700 without any math review, but I need an 800 to have a fair shot at getting into a decent program, if I decide to apply. I bought the book hoping it would help me get an 800, not pat me on the back and tell me to go off and fend for myself if I'm scoring above 700.

Ugh. I now lost motivation to listen to anything this book says about test prep.

No comments: