03 June 2006

Bad Food Day

Do you ever have one of those bad food days where everything you try to eat/cook somehow ends up not working out? Today was one such day for me. I came home from a street fair craving something healthy and simple to counterbalance the bad stuff we had at the fair.

I made myself a big green salad with glazed walnuts, chopped up mango, cucumber, sunflower seeds, etc. I was so looking forward to this salad, but then after taking a few bites, a big caterpiller peered out from underneath one of the leaves. After debating whether or not this grossed me out enough to toss out a salad I was so badly craving, I decided that it did and ended up throwing out the entire salad. I was fully aware that there are probably worse things to eat than salad that a caterpillar has trampled all over; yet, this did not abate my feeling of being grossed out, even when I pointed out to myself that I had no problems eating this insect-trampled salad before when I was blissfully ignorant of the caterpillar's existence.

Then there is the mac and cheese I tried to make. Ok, not exactly "healthy", but I wanted something easy, and my food supply was quite low. Well, the noodles where almost done when I started "prepping" the sauce. Much to my dismay, when I opened the milk carton, I found the milk--despite being days away from expiry--had curdled and gone bad. Argh. Luckily, I had some plain yogurt, and used that instead, but as you can imagine, it didn't quite come out the way I envisioned.

And thus it was an entire day of bad food mishaps.

No comments: