20 June 2006

Telling time in Hungarian

I got up earlyish this morning and decided to study Hungarian in lieu of going running. So I take out my Teach Yourself Hungarian book and flip through. This book is not structured in a way that is terribly useful to me, so I end up skipping around.

For example, in one of the earliest lessons, you learn, "You speak Hungarian very well."

Now tell me.

I can barely count in Hungarian. I still haven't done my full lesson on ordering food (I know how to ask if a table is open, and say, "I'm very hungry" or "I'm a little hungry", but that is about all), and I'm just today going over dates/times. In what situation would I possibly need to know how to say or comprehend this phrase?

Well, ok, I can think of two scenarios. 1. I speak this phrase to someone--for ex, I compliment someone on their Hungarian speaking abilities. Who? A native speaker? Would someone whose vocabulary is 30 words ever praise a native speaker for their ability to speak their native tongue? Besides, I don't understand enough Hungarian to know if someone speaks Hungarian well. So that's out.

2. I need to understand this phrase, b/c someone is saying this to me. As of this writing, I know maybe a dozen phrases, so I don't think I need to worry about that.

So this begs the question, why do they put "you speak Hungarian well" so early into the book?

Why can't they put something more practical like location and time vocab words?

As I was saying, I was flipping through the book to look for time/date words--days of the week, months, today, tomorrow, yesterday, and time. The first few items were easy enough (to copy and comprehend, but not necessarily to learn). Then I got to time.

5:15 is "a quarter to six"
and 5:45 is "3/4 to six"

shenme? (That's not Hungarian, btw.)
I decided that I needed to quit my lesson at this point and revisit it during lunch. So I went into work.

6 hours later, the logic part made more sense--you just envision a pie and 5:15 is 5 and 1/4; 5:45 is 5 3/4. So it's like saying 3/4 on the way to 6 o'clock, except that mathematically, that's not exactly correct. "3/4 to 6 o'clock" is really 4:30 (I think), so I'm having a minor hangup here, but if I can overcome that, this logic roughly makes sense.

In fact, they write their time 1/2 6 van (5:30) and 3/4 8 van (7:45).

However, it's one thing to passively understand the logic; it's another thing to attempt to apply this to come up with an actual time. For example, it is 11:22. How would one say that?
5:20 (applying the same logic above) is 1/3 on the way to 6:00. So by the same logic, would one say, haromed (if 4 is negy and 1/4 is negyed, since 3 is harom, I'm wildly guessing that 1/3 is haromed.) hat van?
(That would make Hungarian a very logical language.)

Sajnos, nem tudom.
Or I didn't have the patience to think this through, so that was where I ended my Hungarian lesson.

Perhaps I ought to learn numbers first. . . (Tomorrow. Oh wait. I learned that today--holnap.)

No comments: