25 June 2006

A rebuttal to my pink lady theory

Sometimes I wonder if people actually read these things, but evidently they do.

So earlier, I posted about my speculations on what kind of apple Eve ate. I said Pink Lady, hands down.

Gerswin, whose real name is Gershwin, except that he cannot spell, so now he is Gerswin. . . actually, in real life, he's neither of these identities, but on the pretense of being quasi-anonymous, my real-life people get pseudo-monikers, but I digress--anyway, so Gerswin, a lapsed trumpetist who won't tell me which non-quotidian-sounding composer dude whose name begins with an R wrote the double trumpet concerto in E-minor that I like and thus want to get a recording of, wrote back this interesting rebuttal:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Knowing your penchant for detail, I was astounded to learn that you would
believe Eve's Apple to be a pink lady. Although I quite agree with you on the
quality of the apple, I think we had this discussion before, I would believe someone
as pedantic as you would have done your research. To help you out, I
have provided a cut from a website:

Pink Lady--
Yet another import from the land "down under" this variety was
originally named Cripp's Pink. Developed and bred by the agriculture
department of Western Australia in 1973, Pink Lady apples are a cross
between Golden Delicious and Lady Williams. Introduced to the United
States by way of New Zealand in the late eighties, the fruit is medium
in size and conical in shape, with a distinctive pink blush over a
yellow background. The fine-grained flesh of this apple is crisp and
crunchy and, because it does not brown easily after being cut, Pink
Lady is a desirable addition to fresh vegetable and fruit salads. When
eaten out-of-hand, the first bite tastes pleasantly tart and is
followed by a delicious sweetness. Pink Lady ripens in September and
can be found in most markets right through late spring months.

http://www.appleorchardtours.com/fruit.htm

You realize that by identifying Eve's apple as being a pink lady, you
throw off the whole evolution/creation debate by adjusting Genesis to
somewhere around the mid 60's, assuming of course that Adam and Eve
had the opportunity to hang around a bit before being banished from
Eden. Not to mention to what you do to throw off the values on carbon
dating. :-)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting. He has a valid point. I'm not going to go into my religious beliefs, but if this is the same god person who created the universe and managed to populate the earth with humans all in 6 days, and somehow his 6 days corresponds to the human timeline of several billion years, isn't it perfectly plausible that this same god can have a post-1960s-dated pink lady apple tree in the garden of Eden? I mean, we're not talking about a normal passage of time here. . ..

No comments: