04 April 2008

Trader Joe's Roasted Unsalted Sunflower Seeds

I need to stop. Really.

But I can't stop eating these. They are utterly addicting. I have Lala to blame for this. She is the one who introduced me to these. She keeps them in her cupboard and adds them to salads. I really like the crunch it imparts to her salads.

I usually buy the raw kind bulk at Whole Paycheck, just b/c it's less packaging this way, and I can control the quantity I buy. But 2 weeks ago, I went to Trader Joe's, and these were staring at me, beckoning, "Try me. Try me." Thus, I gave in, wondering what the heck I'm going to do with a whole pound of sunflower seeds.

Well, what a ridiculous worry that turned out to be.

It turns out I can't get enough of these things.

Really, I don't know why, b/c it's just a roasted seed.
But after two weeks, the bag is almost empty.

Did I mention that this is a one-pound bag? And that there are roughly 14 servings in a bag?

I've eaten them straight out of the bag by the handfuls.

I dumped (yes dumped) them on my salads.

I poured them into my yogurt.

I mixed them in with the world's easiest chickpea salad (compliments of Orangette, one of my favorite food blogs), which made this salad even better.

Actually, I have been mixing them with everything that I think might go with sunflower seeds.

Luckily, it has some nutritive value--vitamin E and high protein levels. Oh, and it looks like it provides me with 10 percent of my RDA of iron as well, which is good, b/c I'm borderline anemic. And I suppose I can always use more protein in my diet.

Ok, so it's marginally better than cashews, another weakness of mine, especially if I flavor them with curry leaves. (For that, I have Patita to indirectly blame, since she introduced me to the ever-so-useful curry leaf, though she's not responsible for my curry leaf-flavored cashew addiction.)

Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be losing 10 pounds, aren't I. . ..

4 comments:

Sofiya said...

Sunflower seeds are wonderful. I eat them by the handful myself, although I've not tried the roasted ones.

anzu said...

I used to be a raw seeds kind of person--until this recent TJ roasted sunflower seed discovery. When I mix it in for breadmaking purposes, though, I prefer raw.

Nandita said...

I must have some! I've been looking for sunflower seeds and trust TJs to have it in large quantities! :)

anzu said...

Ha ha. Here I am trying to shroud your true identity, and here you are flaunting it for all the world to see! The roasted seeds are dangerously addicting. . .. I had to eat salad without them today. :(