12 April 2008

Hot tea-tea bag=?

A while back, I was at a friend's wedding. An evening wedding that required semi-formal attire.

When it came time for dessert, the server came around and asked us if we wanted coffee or tea. Well, in the east coast, they must've not yet caught on to the idea of serving decaf or herbal tea at 10 p.m., because they didn't have that option. They did have decaf coffee, but I don't do coffee.

So I requested hot water.

Now, hot water should not be that hard of a request to fulfill. But we went back and forth with the server asking for clarification three or four times.

me: "May I have hot water?"
server: "Hot water?"
me: "Yes. Just plain hot water."
s: "You don't want coffee or tea?"
me: "No thanks. Just hot water, please."
s: "Do you want a tea bag with your hot water? I can get you some teabags."
me: (thinking to myself: um, that's called tea. . .) "Just hot water."
s: "Hot water? With nothing?"
me: "Yeah. You know, it's like tea--but without the teabag."

Finally, we got comprehension. I got my cup of hot-tea-sans-teabag.


2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I hear you! I go through the same thing whenever I try to order plain hot water at a restaurant. One of the only ways to get waiters to understand is to say: "I'm a singer. It's for my throat."

Or, I go to a Chinese restaurant, where no one thinks drinking hot water is odd.

anzu said...

Heh. I didn't know you were a hot water fan, too. People think it's weird, but I find it comforting in the winter time. Actually, the truth is that the habit started out of laziness, though next time, I'll use the singer excuse. That sounds way better than explaining that it started, b/c I'd be studying late at night and I was too lazy to walk to the cabinet to pull out a tea bag and tear it open and put it in my water, and then figure out what to do with it. . .. I've since gotten 3 of my former roommates into the hot water drinking habit.