07 March 2008

Musical Mashed Potatoes

I’m working on a piece that currently sounds like musical mashed potatoes, if mashed potatoes could actually be represented musically.

We are supposed to memorize a piece that sounds deceivingly easy if you just sang the entire piece as is, but the version we are singing has 3 of us max on a part, singing only 1 pitch (in my case a B-flat), so that every time a B-flat comes up, I’m supposed to sing the text, which is proving to be a bit more challenging than I expected. (The rest of the time, I’m supposed to hum on my note, but all the while standing next to TWO people who are each singing a half a step above and below me, which means that I also don’t want to breathe, because that means a stoppage in sound, and the increased likelihood of getting thrown off by the mesh of pitches on either side of you.)

It’s hard to think that far ahead and be like, "oh, my b-flat is coming up." and manage to come in exactly on time and with the proper amount of stress, b/c the few times I do remember to come in on time, I'm so eager to show off that "Oh oh oh, I actually remembered that I'm supposed to come in on the word 'tops' of 'rooftops'!" that I end up stressing the word we come in on, which is invariably an unimportant and unstressed word like "a" or worse yet, a non-stressed syllable, like the “on” in upon. It's appropriately called "Falling Rain" and once we get the musical acrobatics figured out, it should sound like cascading raindrops.

But at the moment. . . please pass me the gravy.

No comments: