23 March 2008

My never-ending dilemmas

Another dilemma, though perhaps the kind that shows how spoiled we are in this area:

Go listen to an amazing pianist and great ensemble
or
Listen to some of the best string quartet repertoire written?

Make a decision based on the ensemble/soloist
or
repertoire?

Yuja Wang and Academy of St. Martin in the Fields
or
Bartok 4, Haydn Op. 76 and Mendelssohn Op. 13?

I've gushed about Yuja Wang in the past. She's coming again to the Bay Area, to perform Mozart and Mendelssohn w/ the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. Stuff I like.

Normally it would be a no-brainer to get these tickets.

But then there is this performance of Bartok #4, Haydn Op. 76 #5 and Mendelssohn Op. 13 performed by a youngish string quartet from Australia that just won the ninth Banff International String Quartet Competition. The TinAlley String Quartet is playing in a venue with amazing string quartet acoustics (or so my friend says. I've actually never been to the Petit Trianon, but have been meaning to, because I've heard wonderful things about the acoustics.). I am not familiar with the group, but they look young and hip-ish on their website. Not that this should be a decision factor, (though I wish they had some recordings and more information on their website) but I like the idea of supporting a young, aspiring group. (I hope that doesn't sound patronizing, but they really are young--according to this website, their average age was 24 in 2006, which makes them 26 years old!
Though when such young, aspiring groups perform, do they get any or part of the proceeds?)

Right now, as much as I would grab any opportunity to hear Yuja Wang perform live, I'm leaning towards going to hear the young, hip Aussie string quartet perform Bartok, Haydn, and Mendelssohn.

Whereas I would probably get nosebleed seats for $50 at the SF Symphony Hall (Yuja Wang concert), at the Petit Trianon, I could probably get close by seats for $40ish. The space is much more intimate.

Ah, decisions, decisions, decisions. But I want opinions, opionions, opinions (even if I ultimately might not listen to them. . .).

No comments: