17 March 2008

Tales of the idiot who evaded service himself during the Vietnam war, but calls serving in the military a "terrific experience"

Full disclosure: I read this in Maureen Dowd's column in the NYT. However, I don't always trust Maureen to interpret my news for me, so I did my own fact-checking.

I was incredulous. Surely, the service-evading president of ours didn't just tell these people serving the front line that he was "envious"? Surely Maureen is exaggerating as she is sometimes wont to do? Surely this country isn't run by someone who is this idiotic?

Well, alas, it is.

Here is Reuters article.

"I must say, I'm a little envious," Bush said. "If I were slightly younger and not employed here, I think it would be a fantastic experience to be on the front lines of helping this young democracy succeed."

"It must be exciting for you ... in some ways romantic, in some ways, you know, confronting danger. You're really making history, and thanks. . ."
(Bush talking to soldiers in Afghanistan)
If it is so freaking "exciting and romantic", then why did he dodge the draft when he had his chance for romantic excitement?

I'm completely against war, but these soldiers who put their life on the line and are "inconvenienced" so that we can eat, sleep, listen to music and grumble about taxes (post forthcoming) and gas prices--in peace--and carry on as though there is no war going on really deserve more than this obviously insincere patronizing statement.

Really, this infuriates me.

No comments: